Wednesday, July 19, 2017

“Lay Your Hands”



c. 2017 Rod Ice
All rights reserved
(7-17)


This old life seemed much too long
With little point in going on
I couldn’t think of what to say
Words just vanished in the haze
I was feeling cold and tired
Yeah kinda sad an uninspired
But when it almost seemed too much
I see your face
And sense the grace
And feel the magic in your touch
Oh lay your hands
Lay your hands on me...”

- The Thompson Twins (Bailey/Currie/Leeway-1984)

Trump.

So much has been written about the man that even rendering his name in print seems useless. Is it possible that anything new could be contributed by this act? Even for a professional writer bolstered with the inertia of good intentions? To conclude in the affirmative stands reality on its head. If ever there were an American personality completely drowning in ink, it is that of DJT. His life as a thrill-seeker has been documented to the point of hysteria. Perhaps no other figure in our culture has drawn such energy from his detractors. Like an alien beast, he seems to feed off hatred and controversy. Poison darts that would kill mortal men only fortify his blood. Reason and decorum are negated in his world by the appetite for publicity. Does he have any genuine core philosophy? Is he a man of faith?

This question echoed in my head when I saw a photograph of evangelical ministers prayerfully laying their hands on him, in the Oval Office. The image provoked a sort of personal introspection for which I was unprepared.

My childhood was spent growing up in a conservative household that followed traditions of the non-denominational ‘Church of Christ.’ From a young age, I received instruction in carefully avoiding even the appearance of evil. (1 Thessalonians 5:22) I was taught to forego the use of instrumental music during formal worship. (Ephesians 5:19) I learned to focus on eternity rather than the fleeting wealth of mortal life. (Matthew 6:19-20) And I came to understand that God and man were separate in scope and intent, each with a place and purpose for humanity. (Matthew 22:21)

This careful path was clearly defined. Grandma McCray helped lead me toward fulfillment by reading the scriptures, daily.

My family did not engage in common practices like drinking beverage alcohol or dancing in public. We did not gamble. We were not promiscuous. There were no examples of alternate lifestyles, protest or self-aggrandizement. Our walk of life was a quiet journey. A prayerful trek toward salvation and away from Satan’s grasp. My paternal lineage was Republican. My maternal side, purely Democrat. But on these issues of religion, they were united. One, in the blessed hope of salvation.

As a teenager, I once drew a ‘peace sign’ on my school notebook. This act, which must have seemed to support the anti-war movement, brought parental correction. I was told to place a cross on the volume, instead. “The true sign of peace.” Later, I grew my hair long, in the ‘hippie’ style. More correction arrived from older members at church who were horrified by this look. (1 Corinthians 11:14) Duly shamed, I signed up for Air Force ROTC in junior high school. Before I could participate, however, my family moved to another state. Each step in this terrestrial voyage came with caution and forethought. With respect for the creator and his plan. (2 Timothy 2:15)

As an adult, these memories helped to provide a distant, yet enduring foundation for living. Not always one which I adhered to with literal obedience, but a series of guideposts that continued to chart my concept of right and wrong.

Then came Donald Trump.

Some in the brood urged me to vote for this controversial fellow, in 2016. An act they said would further the cause of righteous living. After the election, another family member posted an image of him receiving the tender embrace of Jesus, at the White House. This meme, on Facebook, struck me as truly incredible. I was speechless. And I suspected that DJT himself must have secretly experienced a similar sense of wonder at being supported by such people of faith. People very unlike him at the core of their character.

From the Christian Bible, I had learned that we were known by what we produce in life. (Matthew 7:16) But now, this test was apparently no longer applied. A man known for boasting (James 4:16), lies (John 8:44), adultery (Proverbs 6:32), self-interest (Philippians 2:3), abusive habits (1 Corinthians 9:18), or profiting from deceit (Job 27:4) and trickery, had suddenly become one worthy of praise. Such false teachers were foretold, even in the Bible. (2 Peter 2:1)Yet in my own faith community, debate and uncertainty had some willing to suspend the familiar teachings of Christ to endorse Mr. Trump.

And of the laying on of hands to protect him, from believers bowed in prayer.

In discussing this with my family, I tried to speak with respect. “Tell me you voted for Trump out of desperation with government. As a calculated political move. Or as a shrewd play to shake up the system. But please do not invoke God as a cause. There is no such justification. He does not, in my opinion, love you or the creator you worship. He is only concerned with taking long gazes into the mirror. And self-congratulation.”

In personal terms, I had experienced the ‘laying on of hands’ directly. When a pastor at church strayed in his conduct, we gathered at the altar to prayerfully ‘lift him up’ as a brother in need. The ritual brought some to tears. In that instance, there was obvious regret and contrition. A genuine desire to turn away from evil and sin no more. (John 8:11) President Trump seems to have never been contrite, in any circumstance. Indeed, his gospel has been one of ‘winning’ rather than submitting as a believer to the will of God. (Ephesians 5:21)

Prayers for our leaders are necessary and correct to offer. I often prayed for President Obama’s safety, for example. And for all of our leaders, of whatever partisan affiliation, to be wise in their actions. As a Libertarian believer, this was not difficult. But for Christians to publicly and vocally give their approval to one who has unashamedly lived in the interest of self, rather than the humility of Jesus?

I can only watch, and ponder what Grandma McCray would think.

Questions or comments about ‘Words on the Loose’ may be sent to: icewritesforyou@gmail.com
Write us at: P.O. Box 365 Chardon, OH 44024
Published weekly in the Geauga Independent

No comments:

Post a Comment