Monday, November 27, 2023

Nobody Reads This Page - 'Lee Rogers'


c. 2023 Rod Ice

All rights reserved

(11-23)

 

 

When I started writing for Don Buchanan’s Geauga County Maple Leaf, in February of 1998, a popular columnist already on board offered advice and mentoring skills. He was Lee Rogers, a veteran of newspaper journalism in the area. This intrepid fellow penned two regular columns for the publication, one called ‘Nobody Asked Me’ and the other known as ‘I Get Around.’ His ease with the craft of wordsmithing was obvious, and inspirational. After so many years of creative output, he had a keen insight into the professional habit of putting thoughts onto paper. We bonded immediately. His love of what we did gave me confidence at a time when such things were very important. Yet only with hindsight am I able to reflect on his intellectual gifts, and offer praise and gratitude in return.

 

Lee was unassuming and unselfish, in the bygone tradition of typewriter junkies. He did not seem to have an ego of any kind. When reporting on actual events, his prose was crisp and tidy. It painted a word picture that was useful and informative for readers. But when reminiscing in personal projects, he had a relaxed manner akin to a grandfather regaling young children with stories of olden times. In the moment, I pondered this free-spirited approach from a much younger perspective. It became a goal of sorts, to someday find such confidence in my own work. His encouragement was gentle, and unflagging.

 

I would soon create a new series for the Leaf, dubbed ‘Thoughts At Large’ by my editor. These ruminations ran weekly, or sometimes, even twice in that period. The subject matter always seemed to choose itself. I never received any sort of unwelcome direction from above. No guardrails kept me from experimenting usefully. This libertarian methodology let me roam freely as a scribe. I could not imagine being corralled in a cubicle where lines of text were hammered out for a paycheck, and nothing more. Money meant little in terms of the satisfaction I received. I aspired to celebrate the nobility of everyday people in their natural environment, and to honor their contributions.

 

In modern times, I look back upon that era with an enduring measure of fondness. It was a point on the journey where my joy over being able to express ideas in print provided energy for all sorts of projects. Learning by doing was my plan. Just as an athlete must train constantly, to attain a level of physical competence and endurance, so also must a writer hit the keys. There is no better way to train the mind and heart than to be active. To mentally engage in marathon competitions. To write and write and write!

 

As a favorite aunt used to say, “Keep that pen moving!”

 

After more than four decades of constant engagement, the habit has become one that I approach with the sort of familiarity my erstwhile teacher, Lee Rogers possessed. Now, with hindsight, I see how he was able to transfer the curiosity of journaling into real time product. I know when and where opportunities may exist for acquiring material. And, how to avoid the pitfalls of gloomy, self-indulgence. Navel gazing has become a competitive sport with many participants in our current age. A lazy mood has steered some into wallowing through pity and parsing the language into slivers of stilted comprehension. But I strive to stay on course, as my yesteryear friend did so well.

 

Which is where this column begins.

 

When pushing aside cobwebs and mental miscellany, in my brain, I tried to find some sort of title for this new endeavor that would reflect Lee’s casual method of scribbling-for-hire. The banner of ‘Nobody Reads This Page’ resonated as something he might have said, in jest. Perhaps with a wink of his eye. Or with a sober realization that the dignity of those who spool out lines of text as a means to find gainful employment are often looked upon much like dairy cattle, mules, or other farm animals. As his career unfolded, there were fewer outlets providing printed matter for profit. A kind of winnowing effect took place by natural selection. But with the explosion of internet content, and worldwide connectivity, being seen as a linguistic artisan is much more difficult. Great masses of material are easily available to anyone with a low-buck, Walmart computer. Quantity is no substitute for quality, to be sure. But the easy availability of everything tempts readers to forget that much was invested before the final yield came into being.

 

A measure of respect for the craft helps to keep both the writer, and reader grounded in reality.

 

Going forward, I hope to display that sort of care in what I offer here, just as Lee did in bygone years. I submit this page as a tribute to what he achieved. And maybe, a continuation which he helped sire by providing guidance and an authentic sense of hope.

 

At my desk today, I salute you, good sir!

2 comments:

  1. Bravo! The Wordsmith is back and ready to write. Thank you for his return and looking forward to many more articles by him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boobie... The greatest writers and doctors and musicians and great thinkers and inventors went to the graveyards selfishly taking those unused gifts with them. You are indeed using your pen to release your mind's pondering to those who discover your endeavors of sharing life.May they read your words slowly and open those recessed doors of clogged perceptions in their own agendas.Sometimes people need someone to cause effective reasoning and pathways to "grog" they don't enter into. Keep pushing on.

    ReplyDelete