Tuesday, October 15, 2024

“Return Mission, Second Assignment – Part Nine”


 


c. 2024 Rod Ice

All rights reserved

(10-24)

 

 

Chief Medical Officer Dr. Becka Stoudt had been waiting in the Morningstar III conference room for about 30 minutes. She felt slightly cold, and irritated, despite being dressed in a traditional uniform and lab coat. A wireless tablet sat on the table in front of her, with evidence files retrieved from the ship’s main computer. Sounds of normal operation provided familiar background noises, from the hallway outside. There was no explanation offered for being delayed. No excuse delivered as a diplomatic gesture.

 

She was simply not a priority on the interplanetary transport.

 

Commander Hornell Block arrived after another quarter hour, with a note of disinterest lingering in the air. He had been on a conference call with leaders from the Space Force, who were stationed at the dock which orbited their Red Planet. He appeared tired and chastened. And unshaven, which was a surprising breach of protocol.

 

“I’ve been getting my rump chewed all morning! So, what’s on your mind, Madam Sawbones? More of the same?”

 

Dr. Stoudt brushed the longish, gray hair away from her eyes.

 

“You’ve got a knack for reading the room. That’s a valuable skill, friend. I want to talk about the condition of Lt. Kelly Strafe. What happened to her before she rejoined the fleet?”

 

Block scratched his chin, which was rough like a square of sandpaper.

 

“Doctor, I don’t know what you mean...”

 

His physician-in-charge exhaled violently and sputtered saliva.

 

“Hornell, you’re a bad liar! You always were!”

 

Her superior flushed from hearing this tone of defiance. He could not hide being embarrassed.

 

“The lieutenant is a valuable asset. But she’s always had a rowdy streak. I figured that in olden days on our original homeworld, she might’ve been a cowgirl. But we do things differently in the 22nd Century. Keeping order matters more than ever before. We’re all living in sealed environments. Poke a hole in the wall, and we’re all finished! That’s how the system operates. We can’t afford the kind of conflagration that torched that big, blue ball where mankind used to live!”

 

Stoudt nodded and then folded her arms. A chill ran over her skin.

 

“Thanks for the lecture, Hornell. But you sidestepped my question...”

 

The military commander bristled at her casual approach.

 

“THAT’S COMMANDER BLOCK TO YOU, MA’AM!”

 

The medical chief laughed and gestured with her right hand.

 

“I’m not a conscript, or a grunt. Not a soldier, okay? You can’t bully me with your rank. I serve the cause of science, not conquest among the outer worlds. Kelly Strafe shows signs of an electronic deprogramming. I’ve tried to look up information in our data stores, and via the university link with Mars. But nearly nothing pops up on my screen. Did you belt her into one of those zapper chairs? Is that why she came back to this vessel looking like someone who was drugged and zoned out?”

 

Block tightened his lips, as if suppressing a true confession.

 

“I didn’t do anything. I don’t have the authority! You know that very well. Whatever happened was the result of orders given by Admiral Corel Nauga, and his civilian partners on the high council.”

 

The lead physician tilted her head backward, and cursed in a whisper.

 

“There’s damn little literature on that thing, even for a professional like myself. What are your combat cohorts hiding? She shows possible signs of a brain injury, I can’t make a diagnosis without further study. And I can’t study while being kept in the dark. All I’ve got to go on are rumors and gossip. Some of my colleagues think that the seeds were planted with project MK-Ultra, around 150 years ago...”

 

The commander smiled with both corners of his mouth curling upward, in a betrayal of hidden prevarication.

 

“Doctor, I have no idea what you are referencing. I’m not a student of history, to be honest. I care about the here and now...”

 

Stoudt smoothed her white jacket, and toyed with the Velcro closure.

 

“I can’t authorize a return to duty for the lieutenant. She’ll need rest and evaluation. I’ve got to do more research before passing judgment. That’s where we stand, Hornell!”

 

Her onboard superior was livid over this proclamation.

 

“I NEED HER BACK IN SERVICE! SHE’S A HANDY TOOL IN THE KIT, A VALUED MEMBER OF THE CREW! QUIT DRAGGING YOUR FEET! THERE’S NO REASON TO KEEP HER IN A BED LIKE SOMEBODY’S GRANDMOTHER AT A NURSING FACILITY!”

 

The seasoned physician pointed her index finger with indignation. She did not attempt to placate her opponent.

 

“Commander, I make those calls. Look it up in your rulebook if you like. My role is specified in black-and-white. If I have doubts about anyone on the team that runs this craft, even you sir, then my judgment stands. If I sign off, it’ll be because I am convinced that Kelly has recovered fully. That’s how the chain-of-custody works for a patient. Any patient! There are no exceptions...”

 

Block had almost begun to foam at the mouth. He pounded the conference table with his fists.

 

“Don’t threaten me, Becka! My position in the force is very secure. You wouldn’t be pleased with the outcome!”

 

Dr. Stoudt snorted at the open threat. But she showed no sign of being afraid.

 

“I’m the top dog here on our ship, Hornell. If you suspect that my analysis is compromised, a petition can be filed. But it’ll be another doctor that gives an official ruling on your case. I am devoted to patient care and nothing else. I don’t give a damn about flying between the planets, or chasing down political enemies...”

 

Her crew leader had turned a bright shade of crimson. He did not enjoy being accused, explicitly, or otherwise.

 

“WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN, DOCTOR? WHAT IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?”

 

Stoudt pulled the lab coat tighter around her neck, while hoping to stay warm. This move caused her medical badge to sparkle in the artificial glow of ceiling lights, overhead.

 

“It’s no secret that you’ve been ordered to chase down that professor from the university. I get it, the brass on Mars must be nervous about cinching up details before things come untied. They are always nervous about sedition. Maybe you are too? Either way, I don’t have a horse in the race. I’ll stick to providing care. That’s my field of expertise. When the lieutenant is competent to resume her duties, I’ll let you know. Otherwise, it’s hands off of the sick bay, and my practice as a physician. Stay in your lane, soldier!”

No comments:

Post a Comment