Wednesday, June 14, 2017

“First Responders”



c. 2017 Rod Ice
All rights reserved
(6-17)




I often think of dumping all of my social media accounts.

It is a notion particularly driven by visits to Facebook. A place where recipes abound. Where silly ‘memes’ offer a bit of chewing gum for the brain. Where cell phones shine their ability to capture odd photos with impunity. Though I enjoy the site for sharing family news, music videos, post-war culture references, car or motorcycle trivia and miscellaneous thoughts about everything from gardening to old movies, other vibes undeniably kill the satisfaction. Ugly words, offered without much forethought, throw shade on the experience of real-time interaction. They dim the appeal of what is literally an incredible network that potentially connects the world’s citizens as one.

Today, June 14th, was another of these moments.

Before I had even heard about the shooting at a baseball game involving Republican members of Congress, my FB feed was overloaded with partisan rhetoric about gun control. Along with slurs directed at the White House. And, the inevitable response from others who pointed out that the assailant, now dead, was a Bernie Sanders supporter and long-time critic of President Trump, along with the GOP in general.

These ‘First Responders’ had me reaching for the TV remote while searching with my smartphone for clues to what had actually transpired.

To be clear, such posts on Facebook have become so commonplace that I typically scroll along without paying too much attention. Some ‘friends’ simply repeat party-line and clubhouse dogma, which becomes boring over time with its sameness. A few others, incredibly, call for a military coup to overthrow our government. Not something I would expect out of people who identify themselves as being ‘progressive’ in nature. One fellow in my list openly demands that Trump be assassinated, almost on a daily basis. The counterpoint is just as pervasive – supporters of the current administration who call for action and cheer the courage of their reality television hero. Even as he twists and turns with self-defeating impulsiveness.

Today, I could not scroll by these comments.

With only hours having passed since the bullets were flying in Alexandria, Virginia, I wondered how it was possible that some brief period could not be rationed out for quiet introspection. For pondering and careful consideration about what had happened. To offer thanks that the event had not been even more severe. To pray for those who were wounded. To mourn such a horror being perpetrated by a lone, misguided soul who met death in the end.

On FB there was no waiting period. The ‘keyboard warriors’ were out in scores. Marching to the drumbeat of rancor and partisanship. I imagined that before nightfall, it was likely someone would claim that this tragic happening was in reality a ‘false flag’ attack. One designed to prop up Mr. Trump’s declining poll numbers, while doing harm to the reputation of the Democratic Party. Elsewhere, we would be assured that this action authentically came as part of a master plan drafted by Madame Clinton, herself. The catcalls and dog whistles were nearly audible, even before they had begun to resound.

I needed relief.

My index finger literally hovered over the ‘delete’ icon. With one swift action, I could rid myself of this rowdy invention. This ‘Road-To-Hell-Paved-With-Good-Intentions’ technology. The temptation to take my leave was nearly overwhelming. I wanted nothing more than to catch my breath.

To have a sort of ‘Brexit’ for myself.

Memories echoed as I sat at my computer. Of beloved family members, long gone to their final rest. I could not imagine how they would cope with a phenomenon like social media. But their words of wisdom lingered. When President Nixon was elected in 1968, my maternal side of the family did not endorse his rise to power. They were, by tradition, Democrats, dyed-in-the-wool. Of the true ‘Yellow Dog’ variety. Humble laborers. Grateful and faithful to America and Jesus Christ. Yet their respect for our nation brought scolding for those who refused this unpopular man. “He is our leader,” they would observe. “Pray for him, and for our country.”

For them, the only genuine victory was at the ballot box, not through violence. Or through the squawking of angry voices.

Our modern world has capabilities that would have been the stuff of science fiction in that bygone era. And no one could have imagined a chief executive so undisciplined and difficult to follow as Donald Trump, almost fifty years ago. But the idea that we should take a moment to grieve, to hug family and friends, to be glad for life… that does not seem outrageous.

Indeed, today, it seems indispensable.

Comments or questions about ‘Words on the Loose’ may be sent to: icewritesforyou@gmail.com
Write us at: P. O. Box 365 Chardon, OH 44024
Published weekly in the Geauga Independent

No comments:

Post a Comment