Sunday, October 4, 2026

“Trophies”


  


c. 2026 Rod Ice

All rights reserved

(10-26)

 

 

Well, I’ve heard a lot of talk about, chasing the American dream

But at the end of that assembly line, things just aren’t what they seem

Cause after giving all I had, my wallet was thin, not thick

I got to feeling like a mule, being beaten with a stick

Now, you might have a preference for, one side or the other

But I am going to tell you straight – we’re all sisters and brothers

This land is best when the people rule, and not when takers win

I won’t be one to celebrate getting hit right on the chin

Whatever you believe, is a thing of choice not chance

And I won’t try to change your mind, with a sloppy song and dance

But remember that from coast to coast, we all have lives to live

The contribution that you make is a patriot’s gift to give

 

I love that sound of the Liberty Bell, when freedom comes to call

But I couldn’t give a damn about, trophies on the wall

 

Now Elon Musk is in the news, for all his wealth and fame

And a thousand other celebrities, who play and act the same

But those I call my heroes, are workers on the line

Regular folks with families, who are always top-of-mind

I couldn’t give a damn about, awards-shows on TV

And never have I thought too much of gossips spilling tea

My grandma was a country saint, so far as I’m concerned

She taught me more than anyone, and I was glad to learn

Now that I am standing tall, I’ll think of her and pray

Everything that I became, was because of yesterday

Farmers fed the nation and soldiers fought the wars

And here at home, peace of mind was had from shore to shore

 

I love that sound of the Liberty Bell, when freedom comes to call

But I couldn’t give a damn about, trophies on the wall

 

Trophies have a gleam, that’ll catch the watchful eye

They indicate some kind of worth that motivates, by and by

But once the tarnish of long years, settles on the brass

You realize that a different fate, has now come along to pass

The trick is one that leaders use, to keep the troops in check

The promise of a better day, with their scheming in effect

But once a vote is taken, the same old run is made

They disappear in a fog of fools, like a squeeze of lemonade

When that plot twist for the pawns, becomes rightly exposed

They’ll all find that their bloom, has fallen off the rose

That’s when streets get busy, with laborers on the march

And the sanctity of a sacred home, is truly taken to heart

 

I love that sound of the Liberty Bell, when freedom comes to call

But I couldn’t give a damn about, trophies on the wall

 

I love that sound of the Liberty Bell, when freedom comes to call

But I couldn’t give a damn about, trophies on the wall

 

Call me an old-fashioned rube, call me what you will

But good hearts have a glow, that evil men can’t kill

Double-talk and backroom deals don’t carry much appeal

Only for the love of God will I close my eyes and kneel

No man who adorns with gold, the people’s house as his

Can hope to cheat the masses with a plan, secretly hid

We’ll see them all for who they are, and not what they pretend

There will soon be a day of reckoning, at the bitter end

Power is a drink that makes the dry throat sing aloud

With a song of citizen sacrifice, to charm the restless crowd

But eventually that magic spell, will lose its metallic sheen

And those who waste our birthright will be swept out, quick and clean

 

I love that sound of the Liberty Bell, when freedom comes to call

But I couldn’t give a damn about, trophies on the wall  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment