Saturday, September 12, 2026

“King’s Petition”


  


c. 2926 Rod Ice

All rights reserved

(9-26)

 

 

Lord, God, King of Kings

Let me inquire about some puzzling things

If I might be so bold

As an embryo grown to an age, feeble and old

Here on the orb which you created

There are wars and conflicts, never separated

From the daily routine

In a territory where immigrants dream

And posers proudly prophecy

About things they do not realize

Are out of their hands

Reading righteously from the rolls, to recall your commands

 

Lord, God, King of Kings

Let me ask why the pendulum consistently swings

From one equilibrium to the next

Minus a discipline of sanity, and mutual respect

Seekers sort through the rubble for an awakening

Loyalists lob stones to gaily grasp the brass ring

Which tarnishes quickly in the smoky air

A foolhardy pursuit, a pointless affair

I watch this unfold with a naïve sense of awe

As the eagle swoops over, a rodent in its claw

I might have been a doubter, still

But faith in the factions is a marvelous skill

 

Lord, God, King of Kings

Let me pluck at the tenderest of heartstrings

Gently enough to reveal

What breaks a butterfly upon a wheel

I have traveled here as a consequence of birth

To inherit the value of intrinsic worth

With was beautifully bestowed

When touching the hem of your robe

But now I wonder over the pain brought to bear

About monarchs who rule, with fire in their hair

Sat on a throne upright and erect

A gilded foundation of legacies to protect

 

Lord, God, King of Kings

Let me poke at the boundary between mattress and bedsprings

Where the treasures of common folk are hidden

Where the aspirations of a laborer are often overridden

By a lack of concern

On the part of those who cause the butter to churn

Forgive me for thinking that I need to be heard

When all that I bring is a consciousness, disturbed

I cannot cleanse what was stained at the start

I have no such power, I to revive and impart

A wise disposition, to heal and explain

A trick of the light, to edify and entertain

 

Lord, God, King of Kings

Let me wander and wonder about the simplest of things

Why love is a lament for those that have none

And a blackness of night is opposite the sun

Pharisees proclaim what the scriptures have sent

While trampling on roses, as a sign of intent

Heads are scratched and eyes will roll

And a gale blows through hollow souls

Bowing priests hesitate to speak

Fearing to inflame the lame and the weak

Who have already concluded that the hour is late

With an absence of chalk on the classroom slate

 

Lord, God, King of Kings

Let me be bold enough to soar upon wings

Like a creature of the heavens, able to fly

Give me the direction to discover reasons why

Tempest and torment when we witness truth

An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth

Every lesson we learn comes with a cost to be paid

And no prayerful petition will wish it away

On bended knee, and waiting

Before challenges, never abating

This is the plan set in motion to save

Those of us on a journey, from the cradle to gave

 

Lord, God, King of Kings

Let me inquire about some puzzling things

And cast a shadow, taller as the day is nigh

Embraced by your grace, and sanctified

I do not mean to offend, with this plea

I bring no blasphemy as an alternate creed

Forgive if you will, when I confess this conundrum

That keeps me off balance, considering the sum

Of blood spilled and heroes killed

On a fiery field of conquest, sadly fulfilled

Shine on us with the new revelation

That at long last, this battle is done

No comments:

Post a Comment