Wednesday, September 30, 2026

“Nobody, Revisited”


  


c. 2026 Rod Ice

All rights reserved

(9-26)

 

Unseen in the glare of a daylight glow

Invisible and unable to directly cast a shadow

I have no presence, no form to fill

This is the yield of a poison pill

Nobody is my name

I won’t cry out to receive a rest

It is better that I linger in the cold and emptiness

My place proscribed by a careless word

Dropping from the sky like a flightless bird

Nobody is my name

 

The appearance I carry is one of regret

Stained with transgressions I cannot forget

And though forgiveness is assured in the scrolls

I find myself failing in neighborhood polls

Nobody is my name

A tease and a twist, once seemed to play

But now I realize that those gifts caused delay

They held back a soul that was ready to soar

With a hand raised to halt what awaited in store

Nobody is my name

 

A kiss on the cheek signified my guilt

It marked me as one who had the wrong tilt

An incline toward opposites, bent in my bones

A curse that made the crowd leave me alone

Nobody is my name

I might have complained, with a voice gone unheard

But that useless pursuit would multiply, by a third

Laid out and laughing, I leap from the cliff

Into a canyon where the vanquished turn stiff

Nobody is my name

 

I saw it once in a western film reel

A moving picture, with midnight appeal

The tale of a cowboy, unknown to the rest

With a six-gun and badge, pinned on his vest

Nobody is my name

Trinity trailed a figure, willfully aloof

And scattered his bullets from the peak of a roof

Forgive me if that memory is not quite correct

It has been too long since the theater was wrecked

Nobody is my name

 

A silent reflection on the silver screen

A magnified mess, contorted in a dream

That imagery does not match my literal intent

It leaves me with a taste of whiskey and torment

Nobody is my name

No matter the plan, I still fall upon rocks

A hole in my heart and a tumble of blocks

Treading over eggshells, with no compromise to make

Sad to believe that my birth was a mistake

Nobody is my name

 

A sobering truth, discovered on a dare

That the man without a home remains unaware

No country to claim when standing in court

No citizen status to stamp on a passport

Nobody is my name

Caught between sides of a narrow route to escape

Where weakness confirms that the hour is too late

And a hunger for redemption ends badly for all

A scribble of chalk on the jailhouse wall

Nobody is my name

 

The tomb may be empty for a savior on the rise

But there is no such brilliance for one with closed eyes

I meet the final moment with a flicker of flame

This candle is snuffed out by a dribble of rain

Nobody is my name

Should you by chance, remember my fall

If pray for a benediction, to celebrate that call

An echo still bouncing among ears in the fold

A story of things not often retold

Nobody is my name

No comments:

Post a Comment