Friday, December 15, 2017

“Dollar General Christmas”



c. 2017 Rod Ice
All rights reserved
(12-17)



Readers Note: The holiday season always seems to arouse stories of a personal nature. What follows here is another tale of life in the Ice household.

I moved to Thompson, Ohio in 2002.

Far on the east side of Cleveland, this off-the-beaten-path rural community was a perfect spot to rebuild life as my first marriage was falling apart. A place where I could slip into an interstellar wormhole of anonymity, while trying to preserve my dual careers of journalism and business management. Close enough to my family that contact was not difficult. Yet with a geographical moat between them and myself encompassing 9.7 miles of Geauga County farmland. A safe zone that let me rest in a kind of self-imposed isolation.

The only drawback by comparison with my former residence in Painesville was that suddenly, access to basic creature comforts were few. My new community did not have a gas station. Or a convenience store. Or a pizzeria. Only a long-closed IGA on the township square. And soon enough, an abandoned Ford dealership. Because I worked in Chardon and then Geneva, this change barely caught my notice. But the arrival of early retirement last year caused a personal reassessment like I had never known, before. Declining mobility and a lack of employment forced me to reassess personal priorities.

Suddenly, my comforting distance from the civilized world became a bit more burdensome to endure.

While time passed, someone had already reopened the slumbering IGA as Thompson Center Market. Then, they added a Master Pizza franchise. But the most stunning development in local history came early in 2017 when Dollar General placed a store on the square.

During three decades of my business career, DG barely garnered any notice. I first encountered one of their locations while visiting my parents in Philippi, West Virginia. Their efficient floor plan and merchandising were obvious assets. But I couldn’t imagine paying much attention. Retirement changed my perspective, however. I found myself visiting this retail oasis more and more frequently. Especially when snowstorms blanketed our roads with winter white. While perusing their aisles of stock, I noticed that other old fellows with canes and baseball caps were also busy shopping. And senior ladies with white hair and bulky sweaters.

My younger brother, a disabled trucker, had already become a convert after his own slide into disability.

In personal terms, I remembered that years ago, our father had begun shopping at a local Rite Aid drugstore, in the mountain country, because it was easier to navigate than their full-size grocery depot. He walked with two canes for support and had quite a chore loading goodies into his minivan. But the downsized venue helped him keep up with family needs while maintaining his dignity. Later, little bro followed in his footsteps after a stay at the Cleveland Clinic to battle serious health issues. He mirrored the strategy by switching to no-frills dollar stores in our area.

Then, with great reluctance, I came along from behind. Our new Dollar General offered less walking and a surprising selection of products at value prices. The items missing in comparison to larger stores were mostly those that I never shopped.

I had become a believer.

With the approach of winter and holiday themes, I visited our DG in search of Christmas gifts. Once again, their offerings were surprising and affordable. Plenty of candy, trinkets and household decorations. Everything was easy to reach. My new routine was set – cane in a yellow cart as I entered the lobby and then, off to snatch bargains. Conversation with fellow patrons and the store crew came as a bonus. Holiday cheer and savings ruled the day!

I only wished that they had an osmosis machine to fill jugs. (A popular alternative for folk out in the country with well water.) While loading my cart, I resolved to write the company a letter on that subject. Plus, I reckoned on suggesting that they ponder the vending of gas, beer and cigarettes like a Circle K in neglected communities such as our own.

Loading my truck with the groceries, I reflected again on Dad with his drugstore ration of pop, cookies, canned ham, sardines, pretzel barrels, chips and snack nuts. The family tradition seemed secure. For myself, everyday meals, household goods and even Christmas gifts all came from the Thompson Dollar General.

Retirement and the holidays had never felt so good.

Comments or questions about ‘Words on the loose’ may be sent to: icewritesforyou@gmail.com
Write us: at P.O. Box 365 Chardon, OH 44024
Published regularly in the Geauga Independent




No comments:

Post a Comment