Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Nothing To See Here: “Country Crooner” (Part Thirteen)


  


c. 2026 Rod Ice

All rights reserved

(7-26)

 

 

After days of being inactive at my desk in the home office, I had slipped into a reflective mood. Pondering events throughout my childhood, and beyond. This look back across the years brought memories that were buried in antiquity to the fore. Finally, I reflected on being the eldest son of a Christian pastor. This heritage had always provided a note of contrast, as one who wandered from the chosen path. I carried a measure of guilt in every wanton act of self-satisfaction. This legacy was one I could not shed, no matter how far from the teachings of my youth I strayed.

 

Lyrics for an Appalachian hymn of sorts began to form in my head. And I sat at the keyboard as they traveled mystically, through my fingers, to the screen.

 

Grace

 

“Hellfire is hot, I heard the preacher say

A hard reckoning, on display

I held the Bible, while praying along

I knew that God’s grand glory was strong

Hell is real, that lesson hit home

I saw Beelzebub upon his throne

A deep, dark dungeon where I may enter in

But not before salvation cleanses my sin

By grace, revived

By grace, still alive

 

I’ve done my share of things to regret

A measure of misdeeds that I’d like to forget

Sleepless nights spent on bawdy affairs

Drinking whiskey till I fell down the stairs

I’ve had plenty of reasons to ride

Far away from the incoming tide

The only refuge is one with the Lord

Away from conquests my soul can’t afford

By grace, revived

By grace, still alive

 

Every failing brings me close to the cliff

On the edge of a damnation guilt-trip

In the saddle, headed toward my demise

The reaper comes in a friendly disguise

I’ve been tricked before, and put off the path

Wandering and lost, without my treasure map

But the word gives a clue to direction

I turn back to holy protection

By grace, revived

By grace, still alive

 

I don’t deserve this chance to repent

I know the end will come with judgement

But in the scriptures, there is a plan

To overcome, the weakness of man

I’ve been proud, and also bold

Not afraid to chase silver and gold

Yet the yield of that race is no prize

I’ve come to see with opened eyes

By grace, revived

By grace, still alive

 

As a child, I heard those tales from afar

About apostles and the healing of scars

The Son of God in Mary’s womb

Manna from heaven and a rising from the tomb

I used to blink at those stories and lament

Until realizing that my brittle bones were bent

The breath of life had become too slight

When reaching the cool edge of night

By grace, revived

By grace, still alive

 

Now I know that the truth is revealed

For all who struggle, there is an appeal

An open door through which to escape

From the wages of sin and decay

That beggar’s bonus is one given without cost

Only the love of that man on the cross

I cannot earn the right to be made pure

But in believing, my hope is assured

By grace, revived

By grace, still alive

 

The flesh is weak, this has been defined

A coil of cares that burden the mind

With a desire that does not suffice

An empty vessel of fleeting delights

I seek the mansion prepared on high

When Armageddon is drawing nigh

Not a single act done here has remained

I am free from the crimson stain

By grace, revived

By grace, still alive

 

Cowboys sit tall, and curse the heat

That was my choice until becoming complete

I turned quickly from the ways of a fool

On bended knees, instead of a barstool

The church was once a spot that caused me to grin

Until the preacher said, ‘Boy, come on in!’

By entering that place of worship and love

I found a better path to the father, above

By grace, revived

By grace, still alive

 

If you accept this rhyme of my own

I hope you’ll not seek eternity, alone

Read the gospel and receive its worth

Find your way to resurrection and rebirth

Don’t think of me as anything else

Than a true seeker, of heavenly wealth

I am a backslider, still striving to flee

Into the arms of eternity

By grace, revived

By grace, still alive...”

 

T. Randall Squire was struck by this introspective confession of sin and sadness. He called my phone on a midweek morning, as I was still having coffee.

 

“Boy, I gotta say yer a damn riddle to me! One minute I get a feelin’ y’all are a down-home hillbilly, and the next, ya sound like some sort of artistic freak. And then this churchy vibe comes up, I just don’t know what to expect! What kind of thing are ya tryin’ to do here? Is this feelin’ sorry fer yerself, or maybe havin’ a crisis of faith? What gives, pardner?”

 

I clutched my stomach, which was empty as I had not yet made anything for breakfast.

 

“Sir, as the kids like to say, it’s complicated. I’ve got all of that and more rambling around in my subconscious mind. You might say, a taste for thrills, and a touch of shame for perpetually going off the rails...”

 

My contact at the record label huffed while taking a break from his cigar.

 

“Rodney, we’ve all messed up now and then, it ain’t a thing to worry yerself with. Everybody has a good side and a bad side. Some just tilt those scales more in one direction or another!”

 

I had to agree. But felt differently about the complexities of a human personality.

 

“See, I’ve got that ingrained into my DNA so deeply that it affects everything I do. Sometimes when looking into a mirror, I can catch a glimpse of all those generations that went before. It’s all in the eyes. Issac, Andrew Jackson, Kromer Columbus, McGarvey, Rhoderick, all of them are looking back at me from the other side of that reflective glass. Except I didn’t stay with the program. My turn came, and I burned the candle at both ends. I sold my birthright. I squandered my soul, so to speak...”

 

Country Squire wheezed and coughed while listening.

 

“Dang it boy, settle down! Yer way too twisted up on this story. Though I do appreciate ya writin’ a little something fer the religious types out there, they buy our recordings too! Y’all know that kinda stuff sells just like the drinkin’ songs. It’s all part of the mix!”

 

My entertainment cohort seemed to be missing the emotions attached to what I had composed. But instead of attempting to broaden my explanation, I let the subject drop.

 

“Thanks for your support, sir. You keep listening, and I’ll stay vigilant with my quill!”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment