Sunday, July 26, 2026

“Outside”



 


c. 2026 Rod Ice

All rights reserved

(7-26)

 

 

Here on the outside

It’s a place where I dwell

Shaped by the shadows

And the solitude of self

I’ve never seen daylight

Though it’s much to admire

After long hours spent

Crouched here, by the campfire

A night wish made

To rightly be reborn

My beginning, from the end

A stitch for the veil, torn

Until that trek from

Darkness into day

When the waking begins

I’ll gently turn away

 

I’ve always been on the outside

A gambler chasing gain

At the tables to win

Simple, and plain

I’ve always been on the outside

A loser at the game

In a world that doesn’t even

Know my name

 

Here on the outside

A refugee from rot

Rooted like a mighty oak

Standing tall on its spot

Branches outstretched

To the heavens, above

Receiving the embrace

Of a magical lifeblood

That same kind of exchange

Takes place when I read

Tales of the old world

Written in antiquity

A path to the past

Paved by those who did not tread

With fear or failing

But courage, instead

 

I’ve always been on the outside

A gambler chasing gain

At the tables to win

Simple, and plain

I’ve always been on the outside

A loser at the game

In a world that doesn’t even

Know my name

 

Here on the outside

A familiar plot of land

Metaphorically speaking

The origin of man

A species well gifted

With talents aplenty

Yet a warrior’s spirit

To scatter that seed

I am no different

Except for a twist of fate

I ended up broken

Like a crack in the dinner plate

For years I was trained

But the process had a price

The headmaster relented

I was left to my own device

 

I’ve always been on the outside

A gambler chasing gain

At the tables to win

Simple, and plain

I’ve always been on the outside

A loser at the game

In a world that doesn’t even

Know my name

 

Here on the outside

With the quick and dead

And visions of the vanquished

Swirling in my head

When I vocalize

These things that are witnessed

Then there is a correction

Better baubles to possess

I grew strong in silence

Eyes open, and mouth closed

Watching and waiting

For the pecking of crows

Who feast on the fall

Of a mighty horde

Once great and grand

Now judged by the sword

 

I’ve always been on the outside

A gambler chasing gain

At the tables to win

Simple, and plain

I’ve always been on the outside

A loser at the game

In a world that doesn’t even

Know my name

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment