Friday, August 21, 2026

“Darkness Petition”


  


c. 2026 Rod Ice

All rights reserved

(8-26)

 

 

A petition given, on bended knee

This is the prayer of a soul, set free

Too many times, I have loved and lost

But this is the hour, to settle that cost

I know too well where the road may lead

For a jester jumping, bowed with need

I made my choices, knowing all

And turned to hear the rooster’s call

A better plan might have made my bed

But I chose a wandering life instead

The price to pay was not included

For one so sadly duped and deluded

Late in this game I saw the truth

An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth

The roll was written with my name

But I erased it, succumbing to shame

 

Ommmmmm...

 

Under cover of darkness

I will greet the night

This crazy moment is justified

We have already died

Under cover of darkness

I will cheat the light

This wayward walk is not a sin

It is the seed inside

And if you want to wait

While I pause to pray

If you want to wait

I’m standing at heaven’s gate

If you want to wait

While I pause to pray

If you want to wait

I’m standing at heaven’s gate, gate, gate

 

A petition purposed for the divine

An entreaty entrusted to the ruler of time

I state my case and wait for the verdict

But the answer is not, a poke or a pinprick

The sky turns gray, above my head

I find a place among the quick and dead

Strolling bones, they age and bend

But inside that shell, the heart will mend

If I cry out, for righteous relief

And plea for mercy, boasting of belief

That simple act may fail to impress

And I will only extol my excess

But if by chance I find the way

Illuminated by the glow, of a glorious day

That will be my fortune to win

A seat at the table, when feasting begins

 

Ommmmmm...

 

Under cover of darkness

I will greet the night

This crazy moment is justified

We have already died

Under cover of darkness

I will cheat the light

This wayward walk is not a sin

It is the seed inside

And if you want to wait

While I pause to pray

If you want to wait

I’m standing at heaven’s gate

If you want to wait

While I pause to pray

If you want to wait

I’m standing at heaven’s gate, gate, gate

 

A petition made of pieces arranged

Like shards of glass that pierce the brain

Each sliver that sparkles is a testament said

A wordsmith’s document of fear and dread

I must confess what lies in the heart

The things that I carry, when friends depart

The matter of which my flesh is made

The stuff of certainty, cradle to grave

Regardless of the of the season’s change

And however random the realm and range

I still locate my place by birth

A tenant born upon the earth

Here for a moment, and gone in the morrow

A fleeting flash of joy and sorrow

My memories meld in the rutted row

As above, so here, below

 

Ommmmmm...

 

Under cover of darkness

I will greet the night

This crazy moment is justified

We have already died

Under cover of darkness

I will cheat the light

This wayward walk is not a sin

It is the seed inside

And if you want to wait

While I pause to pray

If you want to wait

I’m standing at heaven’s gate

If you want to wait

While I pause to pray

If you want to wait

I’m standing at heaven’s gate, gate, gate

 

No comments:

Post a Comment