Thursday, August 27, 2026

“Home”


  


c. 2026 Rod Ice

All rights reserved

(8-26)

 

 

Too far from the edge of a celestial divide

Distant enough that I can’t turn the tide

And I’m ready to go home

I see the reflected face, clearly verklempt

But there’s a flaw in that imagery, likely to tempt

And I’m ready to go home

I’ve been here for long enough

Pretending to be made of sterner stuff

And all the while knowing that they’ve called my bluff

I’m Ready to go home

 

Too far from seeking what I forgot to begin

With a knuckle strike, upon my throat and chin

And I’m ready to go home

A vain vassal, looking for the afterlife

Because I’ve already given up my son and my wife

And I’m ready to go home

I’ve been here for a thousand days

Prancing around the perimeter of a purple haze

Like a loafer, unlucky enough to cause a market craze

I’m ready to go home

 

On the precipice of a lifetime, fully surrendered

Like a pocket full of coins, legally tendered

And I’m ready to go home

Nobody ever read my words, and loudly cheered

It’s a certainty that I’m sadly stuck in second gear

And I’m ready to go home

My flesh is tingling with a bold burn of guilt

On a foundation that feeble failings built

With an unloaded pistol, holstered at the hilt

I’m ready to go home

 

I come to find myself, still waiting for the checkered flag

Drinking rotgut wine from the cover of a shopping bag

And I’m ready to go home

The comfort voiced by a brother who I never knew

Standing tall on his elevator shoes

And I’m ready to go home

I asked a question, which had to be posed

About gambling for a dirty beggar’s street clothes

And what it got me then, was a punch in the nose

I’m ready to go home

 

Fables told by a fop, duded up for a blind date

What a trick to employ, like the clanging of a garden gate

And I’m ready to go home

In the library vestibule, waiting for my lost card

So I can review volumes, by the British bard

And I’m ready to go home

That prick of needles still pokes at my skin

As a reminder of patience, wearing thin

When all I can do is roll my eyes and grin

I’m ready to go home

 

The queen is dead, yes, I heard the report

After responding rapidly, with a humble retort

And I’m ready to go home

She was an old breed, no longer fit to rule

Though able to endure calamities, till her kettle was cool

And I’m ready to go home

Anyone paying attention must have known the decree

The last thing she uttered, was a curse not taken lightly

A plea to be spared by the blessed almighty

I’m ready to go home

 

Once the tale is told, I won’t bother with repetition

I am assured of inheriting a better disposition

And I’m ready to go home

All it took was a bull ride, lasso in hand

With the cadence of an alley run, pumped up by a brass band

And I’m ready to go home

I’d like to think that somehow what I said was right

But now that sunset has arrived, in the dark of night

I find no reason for a foolhardy fistfight

I’m ready to go home

 

The final hour will pass unlamented

Until a new world order is cerebrally cemented

And I’m ready to go home

The rule of law used to mean more than gold

But now it’s an indication of scholars having grown old

And I’m ready to go home

That destination is the one I will choose

When I got nothing left, yes nothing to lose

Except for a filled flask of bonded booze

I’m ready to go home

No comments:

Post a Comment