Sunday, August 16, 2026

“Released”


  


c. 2026 Rod Ice

All rights reserved

(8-26)

 

 

Well, I’m looking for a way out

From bedlam on the increase

God, let me be released

God let me be released

I need a touch of grace

From the Prince of Peace

God, let me be released

God let me be released

I need more than a human mind can conceive on its own

I need a mansion with many rooms as my eternal home

I need a better temple, than a whited sepulchre of bones

God, let me be released

God let me be released

 

Well, I’m lonely on a journey

Past tombs of the deceased

God, let me be released

God let me be released

Their sacrifices not enough

To bring down mighty beasts

God, let me be released

God let me be released

They needed more than boasts of brave intentions in the field

They needed more than masters, wielding sharpened blades of steel

They needed more than strategies with violent appeal

God, let me be released

God let me be released

 

When this troupe of cards collapses

Then I’ll be a refugee

God, let me be released

God let me be released

I’ll be in on the outside

I’ll dance with beggars, free

God, let me be released

God let me be released

On that day there’ll be no shame in looking to the sky

And watching for the image of a savior, soaring high

A better cause to celebrate than watching soldiers die

God, let me be released

God let me be released

 

When the hour is struck too late

I’ll feel the energy

God, let me be released

God let me be released

My eyes will find their focus

On a sign of prophecy

God, let me be released

God let me be released

Long ago the scroll was written, a prediction of the king

Who would shun earthly influences, to reign with staff and ring

Blessed by a sacred affection for the worth of everything

God, let me be released

God let me be released

 

Well, I might stumble on the road

It’s more than a certainty

God, let me be released

God let me be released

But when I bruise my heel and fall

The miracles will not cease

God, let me be released

God let me be released

If I cry with a woeful wail of what I had to bear

It will not be too much to ask of angels, unaware

Their aid will keep me moving, up the golden stairs

God, let me be released

God let me be released

 

In the promise of a carpenter

On this I will believe

God, let me be released

God let me be released

And if I fail at times to walk

His arms will carry me

God, let me be released

God let me be released

It’s a story that may sound like a trumpet in the wind

A peal of brass calling out with a holy acronym

A musical inflection, carried by an ancient hymn

God, let me be released

God let me be released

 

Grandma said it sweetly

When my conscience was conceived

God, let me be released

God let me be released

Her voice remains in my ear

Like the lessons of a priest

God, let me be released

God let me be released

Sometimes when the day is dark, I might wander from the throne

And find that I am among the ones who worship an unknown

But never will I feel myself to be rudely left alone

God, let me be released

God let me be released

 

God, let me be released

God let me be released

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment