c. 2026 Rod Ice
All rights reserved
(8-26)
The end of a long journey
Too quickly, I am here
At the water’s edge, and wondering
About a lifetime that has disappeared
I see my reflection in the azure pool
A birthright, unwisely squandered
This act was foretold in a fable of old
In a prophecy, over yonder
At Sunday School, I heard the quip
“There’s no hope for you!”
And though I was a child, barely born
I accepted that those words rang true
The teacher spoke with wisdom
He had a manner that made me still
I held my breath and listened hard
His assessment gave me quite a chill
From that day, I knew my place
A deviation from the family form
My footsteps never met the mark
I found myself, tempted and torn
The examples that I had to learn
Were numerous, and nice enough
Yet I often stumbled along the way
Too easily becoming wild and rough
The verses remained inside my head
I knew the map and read it well
But gambled with the treasure chest
And exchanged that cause for a sorcerer’s spell
It made my mother cry with pain
Her tears were falling as a sign
In a shadowed corner of my room
Ashamed of what I had in mind
The book I knew was given with grace
Did not chasten an obedient heart
Instead, I turned to rhythmic tones
To summon what sermons could not impart
That kind of living was foreign to us
Not a thing ever seen among the brood
I shocked her soul, with a whisper
Too confident and metaphorically rude
I thought that by the work of hands
A foundation laid might come to pass
But once I had seen the yield of crime
There was a specter in the looking glass
A weary face, lined and crisp
Seasoned by long years of labor
It did not bring me a happy home
It did not find me friends or favor
Upon that rock that became my bed
I met the night, in a restless embrace
With eyes closed and a penitent pose
I returned to the spot that began this race
Back again, to where I was
A primal prancer, on my toes
Spinning around to view the ledge
Where this jolting journey came to a close
That revelation wrote the epitaph
That echoes still inside my skull
I cannot mute the voice that chants
“No hope, no hope!” like a mocking seagull
Taunting terms are indelibly said
So loudly that they pierce the veil
From another plane, where saints await
To chart the cryptic poet’s trail
If I behold the glistening lake
In all its fullness, filled and fine
I might be forgiven by the master
Who sits on a throne of borrowed time
The charge is given to conform
And I have answered with a trick
A leap across the great divide
A pirouette on my walking stick
That intention set me free
And also stained my flesh with red
A crimson badge to wear forever
An inglorious grab of fear and dread
Hear my explanation, please
I’ll offer it as my shield and sword
This failing is a flight, beyond
Sent to signify my final reward
God, grant me peace and comfort
This is what I ask of thee
Make a place where I may linger
In the vast realm of eternity
When the drumbeat at my core
No longer keeps its pace, provided
I will accept what is decreed
A sentence sold for a house, divided
Bowed and empty, at the end
This will be what I digest
A meal of crow and contrition, prepared
To soothe the ache inside my breast
Nothing more will follow, then
The balance has been satisfied
I’ll do what comes to those who lose
A keepsake carved, and cast aside

No comments:
Post a Comment